Is insurance included in the rate quoted?
When you rent a vehicle from Europcar, Third Party Liability cover will always be provided, in accordance with the legal requirements of the country of rental*.
This cover is automatically included in the rental at no extra cost. The level of coverage provided depends on local legislation and markets. Please check at car pick- up time. At time of booking Europcar always presents a summary of the covers included or excluded. Additional covers not included in the rate may always be purchased at time of rental subject to payment of an additional daily charge. Prices are displayed on the booking confirmation.
* For rentals by corporate customers in the UK, prior agreement can be reached with Europcar UK that no insurance cover is to be provided by Europcar, subject to providing a copy of the policy to Europcar UK before the first rental, issued by the corporate customer's insurer.
What does LDW or Loss Damage Waiver mean?
Loss and Damage Waiver is an optional cover (although it may be included automatically in certain rates), available in selected countries, which relieves the customer of any responsibility for loss of or damage to the rental vehicle, provided the vehicle is used in accordance with the terms of the rental agreement.
What are the different types of additional covers available?
Damage to or loss of the rental vehicle:
- CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) concerns damage to the rental vehicle
- TW (Theft Waiver) concerns Theft or Loss of the rental vehicle
- LDW (Loss and Damage Waiver) is a combination of Damage and Theft cover Unless Europcar is able to recover the cost of its damages from an identified liable Third Party, the renter/driver is liable for all damages to or loss of the vehicle occurring during the course of the rental. This liability can generally be waived against payment of a fixed charge per rental day. It should, however, be noted that for those renters who have purchased such protection, a residual non-waivable amount (or "excess") will be applied in the event of damage to or loss of the vehicle. Some countries may give renters possibility of eliminating such a residual amount against payment of an additional fee. Please check at the rental counter.
Injury to, or death of, the Driver and/or Occupants:
- PAI (Personal Accident Insurance) This optional cover is available in most of the network and is particularly recommended for the driver, who would not be covered by the rental vehicle's Third Party Liability policy for Death or Permanent Disability occurring as a result of an accident s(he) causes herself/himself.
Loss or Theft of, or damage to, your belongings:
In certain countries, the level of Personal Accident cover may be increased by subscribing to an additional policy ("SUPER PAI") and this cover may also be linked to cover for loss or damage to your baggage and/or personal effects ("PEC"). Our counter staff will be happy to provide you with any explanations you may require regarding the availability, cost and benefit levels of these covers.
Young Driver Surcharge:
In certain countries drivers under 25 years old must buy a specific product to extend their cover. Our counter staff will be happy to provide you with any explanations you may require regarding the availability, cost and benefit levels of such covers.
All potential drivers are to be mentioned on the rental agreement in order to benefit from Europcar insurance and protections. Do not hesitate to ask for more details from our staff.
I would like to have details of excesses, their amount and how I will be charged in the event of damage?
Excesses will vary, depending on the vehicle category. Our staff, either in the Reservations Department or at the counter, will be happy to inform you about the excess corresponding to the vehicle category you wish to rent.
- If new damage is noted when the vehicle is returned, you will be charged the corresponding amount and should the final repair cost (including any applicable administration or immobilisation charges) be lower than the excess charged, the difference will be reimbursed.
- If Europcar is able to recover the costs of its damage from a liable Third Party, you will be reimbursed in ful.
Can the excess be reduced to 0?
Some countries do enable renters to further reduce the excess, against payment of an additional fee. When booking, our staff will be happy to tell you whether this option is available, what will then be the remaining excess (if any) and the cost of purchasing such additional protection.